[OM] RE: Flash meltdown and Macro work

Subject: [OM] RE: Flash meltdown and Macro work
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 06:07:31 -0400
Cc: onlyolybw@xxxxxxx
Hi, BW, thanks for the welcome.
Yes, I've been to Guatemala but not for extensive time.  Coban is a
gorgeous place and there are many Orchid enthusiasts there.  The Orchid
community is very like the membership of this list.. very friendly, can be
a bit fanatical, and ALWAYS ready for a field trip!  We have enjoyed their
hospitality all over the world for about 30 years.  The majority of my work
has been in Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia and Mexico, but I've worked most
places there is Rain Forest.. except SABA.  That's on my list of places to go.

---snip---
>Have you ever been to Guatemala.  I was there on a college field trip in the
>70's, a little town called Cobon (I think).  A little old lady showed me her
>Orchid garden.  It was something I will never forget.  And I am not into
>flowers!

---snip---
>>I am interested in your close-up flash set up.  You said you use the
F280.  Do
>you use this for close-ups.  If so, are you using the SP mode or TTL?  Also,
>what did you not like about the ring flash?

As with anything in Photography, it's mostly personal preference,and what I
had to work with at the time.  I use the F280 on TTL mode.  Its importance
to me was the ability to use any f stop I needed.  I usually shoot at f 22
on the Zuiko 50mm macro or f 32 on my Tamron 90mm Macro.  Orchids have 3
petals and 3 sepals. Plus they can have a lot of detail - growths, shape to
the lip that needs to be plainly shown for ID.  The ring flash wouldn't let
me control the shadows like the F 280 off camera, and much of this would be
lost.  Also, if I'm taking a photo of an extremely small orchid, the ring
flash might not even reach the subject!  The lens is simply too close to
the subject.  We're talking milimeters, here..

I bracket everything.. so as to guarantee something on my return.  I'm
parsimonious with my film.. I know professionals who will shoot one or two
rolls on a single shot.. I'll use 3 to 5 shots, only.  Anything less is
false economy when you work so hard to find the thing in the first place.

I'm NOT an artist.  Any art in my work is strictly Mother Nature's.. and
I've said that often.  I'm a technical photographer out to make a photo for
the purpose of Identification.  As I've gotten older, I still enjoy the
forests, but I prefer working in a nice cold darkroom where I'm fairly
certain there are no chiggers, malaria mosquitos, leeches, etc. etc.etc.

>When you have time, send a few pictures to Garth Woods Gallery.

Glad to.  Just give me time to get caught up aroundhere.

Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151