Re: [OM] FOCUSING

Subject: Re: [OM] FOCUSING
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:23:26 -0700
> I would first check the focus of your screen versus your film plane.  Place a
> yardstick or ruler propped up diagonally across a table.  Use a wide F stop
> and a focusing magnifier or the split image to focus on a specific line on the
> ruler.  Try to check each corner of the field of view.  When you get your pics
> back, you will be able to see which line on the yardstick is in focus.  If
> some are in focus and some are not, there is probably a mirror alignment
> problem.  If all are in focus correctly, then there is nothing wrong with your
> camera.  If they are all out of focus, check the seating of your screen,
> mirror alignment, and your eyes.  I have heard of people trying to adjust the
> alignment of their mirror with a piece of ground glass but it was an
> incredible pain and lots of trial and error. Good luck.
>
> Warren Kato

I always use a piece of focusing screen, matte side face down, place at
45 degrees, rest at two inner film guide rails to check the focusing of
my cameras. Mount the camera on tripod, with a 50 macro, 85 or 100 tele,
focusing downward (best close to min. focusing distance) on sharp
printed book or newspaper, set the camera to "B", with a shutter release
to lock the shutter.

First, focus through the finder on a character (best using matte area
for focusing), mark the focus point on the lens (you may stick a tape on
the focusing ring, then mark with a ball pen). Trigger the shutter, with
a 10x lupe check the focus on the focusing screen which placed at the
film guide rails. Focus the lens on the same character again, check if
the previous marked point is line up or not.

Repeat the above procedure two or three times to complete the checking.
If necessary, stick a small pieces of tape under the mirror to correct
the errors. (tape position corresponding to the mirror resting pin).
Using this procedure, you don't need to process to film to find out the
errors and you can correct the problem immediately.

C.H.Ling