Re: [OM] Sunglasses, Polarizers and Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunglasses, Polarizers and Photography
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:11:44 EDT
Hi Joel:

> Thanks for sharing the
>  suggestion about "bracketing the polarizer."

Remember my posting that quoted Ansel Adams?  He said to compensate exposures
at +1 1/3 stops and not adjust exposures according to the polarization effect.
I believe Kennedy shot some holes in that when he said that not all
reflections are polarized in the same plane - an assumption Adams makes when
he claimed that non-polarized objects would be overexposed when metering AFTER
getting the polarization effect through the lens.

At any rate, it is confusing enough that I now bracket my polarized shots.  I
tried the constant 1 1/3 compensation and got some mis-exposed shots.  I now
hesitate to even use a polarizer with the 4x5 since I lack the bucks to
bracket in that format.

Heck, I've almost given up on a polarizer, except when I'm bringing out clouds
on an almost overcast or hazy western US day.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV