Re: [OM] Sunglasses, Polarizers and Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunglasses, Polarizers and Photography
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 09:13:01 EDT

<< 2. Polarizers used without restraint are not suitable for general landscape
 photography. They may be alright for producing a picture when you are
 trying to achieve an artistic, but thoroughly unnnatural effect.

Hello Windsor,

I generally agree with your statement, but think that polarizers are very
valuable in certain landscape situations.   For example, on bright, overcast
days shooting fall foliage, I find a polarizer to be invaluable for punching
up the colors.   Further, for mid-day shooting, or general bright sun
shooting, a polarizer can knock down some of the highlights and allow you to
get a more even exposure.   As far as the exagerrated colors, that might be a
matter of taste, and maybe the particular brand of polarizer you are using.

For what it's worth, I found that on my trip to Zion that I had to use my
polarizer very judiciously - it was very easy to over-polarizing the sky at
that high altitude and turn it almost black!

All the best,

Greg Logiodice
Nyack, NY