Re: [OM] Olympus Petition

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Petition
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 20:15:31 +0200
Denton Taylor wrote:

> I vote for a 200 macro--here's why.

> 2. Because so many folk use the Oly for macro, there would be quite a
> market for a 200 macro.

> Waddaya think?

Only if it is an non IF lens. Why?
With an IF lens you have to reduce the focal lenght of the lens to focus
(the lens gets not longer, so they have to reduce the focal lenght to
focus). With an IF 200mm Macro,the resulting object distance from the
front lens would be the same as an 135mm Macro on the Auto Macro Tube
65-116mm (depending on the magnification). So all the new "smart"
180-200mm Macro IF lenses are not better than the good ol 135mm Zuiko
(for macro purpose).
But I will concede, that an new lens with reduced minimal focusing
distance would be great.

Talking of 135mm, why not an Zuiko 135mm/2.0 IF, would be cool, at least
as long I can not afford the 180mm/2.0.

Richard