Re:[OM] Manual vs Auto Mode?

Subject: Re:[OM] Manual vs Auto Mode?
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:22:06 -0500
>I have been wondering what metering mode we OLY users use our cameras
in, Auto, Manual, >Spot meter and what 0f the time?  And possibly Why?
I would try and keep a record for the >next few weeks.  The outcome may
be interesting.
>BW

        It all depends on the subject and which body I'm using.  Of
course which body I choose depends to some degree on the subject, as well
as what film may be in a given body at a given moment in time, what I
happen to have with me when the subject presents itself, and a host of
other non-rational, non-predictable, circumstances.
        Obviously with the OM1 manual is THE way to go.  I choose it when
I want to slow down, compose, and fully control all aspects of the shot.
Usually landscapes, posed people shots, still life, etc.
        I chose the OM4t for much the same reason, control.  I use it in
situations where I know I am going to have difficult lighting, extreme
highlights and shadows. Theater and dance shows are good  examples.  The
mode?  SPOT, SPOT, SPOT!  About 500f the time on manual-spot, same on
auto-spot, depending on the consistency of the lighting.  Speaking of
theater and OM4t, this is where those highlight and shadow buttons truly
come in handy!
        Then there's a pair of OM2N's, used probably 750n auto,
although I have to admit to dialing in compensation frequently.  I use
these for "photojournalism" type shots, particularly sports.  For
instance, a few weeks ago I went to the race track for a day to shoot a
driving school.  Took the pair of OM2N's.  Went through 9 rolls of print
film in one, set the aperture I wanted, flipped the camera switch to auto
and the motor to single.  I never changed a thing the rest of the day,
except the roll of film of course. ;-)   I also put 4 rolls of slide film
through the other, shot most of it on manual, changing exposure to
compensate for the change in the colors of the cars, things you can
correct for if you are printing, but have to get right the first time if
you're using slide film.  Also some slow speed panning to get some blur,
higher speeds to freeze the action, stuff like that.  Another thing I use
the 2N for is copy work, mounted on a copy stand, using daylight, on
auto, the metering system makes very few mistakes, easy way to get slides
from prints, or to get negatives for those old family photos Aunt Naggy
took years ago with her Brownie Box Camera that everybody wants a copy of
40 years later.
        Last is the OMG, I don't think it's seen a minute on manual since
I handed it to my daughter 2 years ago.

Daryl Hurley