Re: [OM] Lens Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Adapters
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:58, Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>I would not wish that on anyone :-).  Has anyone actually seen the
>Contax AF camera?  It is about the size and weight of 2 bricks.  I
>bet you can fit 3 OM cameras in the same space occupied by one Contax
>AF body+lens.  So please, do not ever suggest that Olympus build an
>AF camera using the Contax concept just to keep the current MF lenses,
>no one will buy it.>>

>Yeah, must be almost as big as an F5 <g>.

Yep, it is a toss up between these two (but the advantage goes to
Contax for adding AF with existing lenses, which Nikon abandoned).
For anyone interested, the dimensions and weights for the various
models are as follows:
Olympus 3Ti:  136x 84  x50   510 grams
Contax   AX:  162x123.5x72  1080 grams (2x weight, 2.5x volume)
Nikon    F5:  158x149  x79  1210 grams (2.5x weight, 3.25 volume)

Now, the Contax S2, a fully manual and mechanical compact model, with
spot metering, interchangable screens, titanium top/bottom, 1-1/4000
vertical metal shutter, is something I can live with.  But their
lenses are still too big.
        -Dan