Re: [OM] Question on AC adapter for T32 flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Question on AC adapter for T32 flash
From: duncanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:45:27 +1000

] Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asked:
] > What do others think about the usefulness of the
] >AC adapter?  And is there a down side to keeping the flash on and
] >charged when not in use.
] I have used an AC adapter on a different brand unit (Sunpak).  The
advantage
] is the very fast recycle times (1-2 sec from full discharge) compared to
] batteries and excellent consistency of flash intensity over several
hundred
] flashes.  You can get similar results with Oly gear using the power
bounce
] grip and T-series flash, but eventually even the C-cells run down and you
] have to replace all the batteries to get good results again.
] I wouldn't keep the flash powered up for an extended period (several
hours)
] when not in use.  I can't see how it would be healthy for the
electronics.
] John P

I concur!

  although you will keep the caps in the flash unit in tip-top condition,
they _are_ leaky, and so the flash charging circuit will need to top
them up to full voltage every minute or so.

  You'll have this going 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

  If you want to preserve your electrolytic capacitors, the best bet
is to make sure you charge your flash by popping off a couple of
full (manual) bursts every three months or so. This will be sufficient
to keep them in top condition (it is for implantable defibrillators).

     duncan