Re: [OM] essential accessory

Subject: Re: [OM] essential accessory
From: The Family <fotolady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:43:24 -0400
Hi Simon and All,

Interesting thread.  One item that gets used more than expected is a set of
3 bean bags that support those long lens and doubler-tripler combinations.
My wife took the cheap ($0.99) bags of sunflower seeds purchased at the
grocery store, double wrapped them (lightly) in plastic bags, and covered
them with towels purchased at the Dollar store.  For $2 each, we have
flexible, squeezable, moderately puncture-proof, 'beanbags' that have
served us well.  The towels are middle toned and one is grey!  Yes, it it
close enough to the perverbial grey card to get away with.  I have used
them for a few macro shots in the house just because they were handier and
faster to set up than the tripod.

Someone mentioned using a Kodak film container to temp-store those little
caps and do-dads in the camera bag.  We use the Fuji containers because the
lids are more recessed with very little overhang or lip.  Either way they
work fine.  Small pieces of plastic bags keep batteries separated to avoid
shorting too.

Lastly, hanging from each of the big camera bags is one of those personal
screaming sirens on a string.  The ones that look similar to a pack of
cigarettes that go off when the cord is pulled out of the socket.  It's
more for looks.  A flash of deterence.  A message that says these people
give some thought to security.  They do get used on the doors of the motels
while on the road.

Jim and Barbara