Re: [OM] Backlight flare

Subject: Re: [OM] Backlight flare
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:10:55 +0200
Friends,

Joel Wilcox wrote:

> > Interesting to compare notes on the 75-150. I've taken sunset shots with
> > this lens -- several with the sun in the shot and at oblique angles (i.e.,
> > far right of the frame, several degrees above the horizon yet) -- with no
> > hint of flare.  Mine could be MC (no letter next to "Zuiko"), but I always
> > thought this lens somewhat a remarkable performer.

I must agree with Joel, I have not had any problem at all with my 75-150/4 as
well.

Soenke wrote:

> Good to hear that it can work. In the situation you describe I'd have a
> series of sunsets at once. There is no letter next to 'Zuiko' on my lens
> either, but I don't think it's MC. Flare performance is one reason, the
> lack of the revered 'green hue' another (only 'deep purple').

Once again I have to say the same, in fact only one of my lenses are actually
marked "MC" and that is the 50/1.8 lens (the others are 35/2.8, 75-150/4, 200/4
and 300/4.5 (Yes! I have just bought one and I am so happy!!))  :-)

Lars Haven wrote:

> > I have been a happy user of the 75-150mm zoom for many years, but I
> > must say that mine is very prone to flare and reflections. Flare is
> > the main reason I have supplemented it with a set of fixed focal lengths
> > in the same focal length range.

There are one simple thing to do to get "MC" on a lens. Buy a Hoya HMC filter!
I spoke with people from Hoya and according to them this gives the same results
as having an MC lens glass. They started to produce these HMC filters just
because old glass did not have MC glass but "new" ones had. They also claim to
produce ALL lens glass except for one brand in which I can't remember (it was
not Zuiko though). They said that the lens glass they made after the 70's or
80's (can't remember which) all glass should be MC.

I have not just one HMC 49 mm for three lenses, but one for each of them, after
all it protects the glass and that is my main reason. And if you still want
neutral color a UV should be the one. I personally prefer UV filters instead of
Skylight (as far as I know, most people prefer the opposite however).

Comments?

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen