Re: [OM] Wide-angle Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide-angle Zooms
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 21:18:19 -0800
Richard Schaetzl wrote:

>Gary Schloss wrote:
>
>> With Olympus asleep at the wheel, we, Zuiks, have little choice
>> but to salivate from afar over such exotic new offerings from
>> the competition as 24-85mm, 24-120, and even 24-135mm zooms.
>
>Did you consider the 28-105mm/2.8 Tamron lens? It´s available new
>for OM mount too. And there was the 35-105m/2.8 Tamron, good optics.

Richard, you missed my point. I did not complain about the lens
speeds. In fact, I'm very happy with both my Kiron 28-85/f2.8-3.8
as well as my Tokina AT-X 28-135/f4-4.6.

However, the use of CAD in modern lens design made it possible to
come up with compact, well-performing true zooms (AFAIK, Vivitar
Series 1 24-70 was a variofocal) going from real wide-angle (24mm)
to medium telephoto. Of course, brighter focusing screens and better
film were also key in making these new super-zooms viable.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx