Re: [OM] Kid's [was: Professionals using Olympus]

Subject: Re: [OM] Kid's [was: Professionals using Olympus]
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 06:19:32 -0500
At 12:06 PM 5/20/1998 EDT, you wrote:
snip

>Photography allows one to remain creative at a time when our parenting
>responsibilities seems to take away much of what makes us balanced and
>interesting individuals.  Imogen Cunningham still did memorable
photography at
>at home subjects when she was raising kids.  I would venture to guess that
the
>stress of parenting causes lots of pre-parenthood photographers to give up
the
>craft.  I nearly did, in part due to the cost when so many other financial
>needs were pressing.
>
>OM content:  My favorite combo for kid shots was an OM-2n, 35-70 mm f/4.0
>zoom, T-32 on a Bounce Grip 2 with a 0.6m TTL cord.  I did lots of bounce
>flash.  Since the zoom makes it tough to focus, I'll also put on a prime lens
>that best fit the room I would park myself in (mostly 28, 35, or 50 mm).  My
>kids were so used to a camera that I seldom see in the negs what would be
>labled a posed shot.
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Hi Gary,

Thanks for this post. I'm at the young-kids-stage of parenthood right now
and fell into the PS phase a bit. Having been mostly tripodal, it's been
fun to get a little fast film and the 75-150 and try to get some decent
action at my son's soccor games.  If you can't always shoot what you most
like to shoot, you have to see what you CAN shoot.  I also like to shoot
some BW of my kids.  There is something "historical" about people on BW. It
makes me feel as though I am giving them a legacy of photos as timeless as
I inherited.  That's been a little bit of a stretch in an unexpected
direction, too.

Joel