Re: FW: [OM] Kid's [was: Professionals using Olympus]

Subject: Re: FW: [OM] Kid's [was: Professionals using Olympus]
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 02:53:54 EDT
Hi Kris:

> I've been looking at vests and wondering if
>  they would be a worthwhile investment!

Mine is made by Columbia Sportwear Company, Portland, Oregon.  I have no idea
if it is still sold since I got it in the mid 1980's.  Of all the vests I see,
this one has OM System in mind.  The lens pocket diameters are perfect for
Zuikos (holds about 8-9 lenses), with two padded pockets for bodies, and lots
of other pockets for hoods, filters, tripod, etc.  Most (all) vests I see in
retail look like they are coats trying to hide their identity as a vest, or
are designed for the autofocus, motorized bricks we call N*k*n, C*n*n, etc.
Great balance on the shoulders when carrying a tripod and a neckache maker
when not.

>  I don't know Imogen Cunningham ?

A member of the f/64 Group, so west coast US based, ?1920-1977-ish era.
Published a book of portraits of people over 90 when she herself was over 90.
Profound images!, esp. of her dad on a woodpile.  Used a Rolliflex and had a
favorite Scandinavian model named Twinka.  Was a hippie before hippie was hip.
Many late pictures of her show her wearing a peace symbol necklace.  A friend
of Edward Weston's (in particular) who remained loyal after Charis left him
(to have babies and due to his disintegrating health).  Did flower photography
in B&W, reputedly in her kitchen, when home-based with kids.  That work was
about the same time Weston was doing his now famous nude-like peppers.

Check out her work in a good library or used bookstore.  I don't recall a
biography on her, but the ones on Dorthea Lange and Margaret Bourke-White are
good reads.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV