Re: [OM] Oly supplimentary lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly supplimentary lenses
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 09:14:58 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: C.H.Ling <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ink it would be more accurate?

>My idea for the best flash control is distance measurement, such as the one
>in OM707 (0M77) which calculate the object distance and adjust the
>aperture.

I found many years ago that distance measuring is NOT reliable. The old
method for flashbulbs used a guide number based on conditions of an average
room that reflected the flash off the surrounding surfaces. I tried this in
a cavern where virtually no light is reflected, and I hardly got an image on
the film. This is one reason I bought an Auto Strobanar as soon as they came
out. For cameras that use OTF control, distance measurement is a good way to
set the aperture. It will also work well under average indoor conditions. A
flashmeter is probably the most foolproof method, but it requires
calculations for macro use.

Doug