RE: [OM] 35-105 close focus

Subject: RE: [OM] 35-105 close focus
From: "R. Wastell" <rrw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 07:22:26 -0800
I measured the approximate distance from subject to film plane with my 35-105
and found that 30 mm is about right at the 50 mm zoom setting. Longer zoom
settings have greater close focus distances and larger fields of view. I
focused on a ruler and the closest I could get was a view of about 17-18 cm (6
3/4"-7") horizontally with an OM-1 body at 50 mm, focus set at minimum. My 50
mm f3.5 will get to 7 cm wide on the same body (1/2 life size, the specs are
right!).

By the way, the focus ring does not have a very large range at the close focus
setting. I find I keep focus set at minimum and use the zoom to focus during
normal use. Does anyone have the instructions for this lens? I am wondering
what the recommended focus ring setting is for close focus use.

Bob

Terry and Tracey wrote:

> What macro range can you get in close up mode? Is this feature at the 35 or
> 105 mm end of the zoom range? I suppose what I'm really asking is what is
> the working distance when on close up?
>
> Foxy

I too bought this lens last week but haven't had a chance to give it a
workout. It seems that when the close focusing is activated the closest
working distance is about 30 cm from the front element (haven't measured
it though). This is when the lens is set to 50 mm mark: it cannot be set
to a shorter focal lenght when the close focusing is activated. Whether
the focal lengt really is 50 mm for the shortest focusing distance I'm
not sure.