[OM] Olympus camera sighting

Subject: [OM] Olympus camera sighting
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 09:59:04 -0700 (PDT)
In the Sunday San Jose Mercury News (California), there was a
picture buried in the "Computing + Personal Tech" section showing
a self portrait of Koko, the sign-language speaking gorilla.
Although the picture was fuzzy (being a digital scan of an image),
the shape of the Olympus camera is unmistakable.  I couldn't tell
if it is an OM-1(n) or an OM-2(n) (I'd guess an "n" version
because the model name is shown in the front near the rewind
switch, by the way, does anyone know when the model started
showing up on the front of the cameras instead of just at the
top?).

The picture is available on the net at www.gorilla.org (note for
those who get the Mercury News, they printed the URL as
www.gorilla.com, but if you go to that site, you'll be at some
banking establishment).  Since it is a self portrait, it is a
shot of the mirror (hence the mirror image).  The lens looks like
a pancake wide angle; and she had the strap around her neck.

I had several thoughts after seeing this picture:
- This picture completely dispels any arguments that the OM cameras
  are too small for large hands.  If Koko can use it, anybody
  should be able to use it comfortably.
- Who says a manual camera is harder to use compared to the new
  auto-focus/auto-everything cameras?  Even a gorilla can use an
  OM camera.
- I'd nominate the inclusion of the Koko self portrait in the
  "Unofficial Olympus Gallery"; since this picture is clearly
  taken with Oly gear :-).  [For Garth, a link to the picture is
  sufficient, you don't actually have to "acquire" the picture
  and store it on your server.]
Enjoy.
        -Dan