Re: [OM] What Zuiko wide angle should I buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What Zuiko wide angle should I buy?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 08:42:34 -0400
Andre wrote:

>Please share your experiences on groups shots and focal length.

For groups of 30-40 people the 35 mm would be my first choice; for
smaller groups  the 50 mm may be better.
The only trick is to make the group as compact as you can, lining
people up in 3-4 rows, making sure everybody's head remains visible.
The rows must be as close together as possible, and children should not
be put in the last row. Shooting distance from the front row 2-4 meter.
When this space is unavailable, better find another location than using
an 28 mm or 24 mm. People standing or sitting on the edges might not be
pleased what these lenses do to their heads. Have the camera on a
tripod for proper composition. An even better choice for a straight 35
mm might be the 35 mm shift. This beauty lets you remove any
nonfunctional foreground; otherwise you might be forced to cut the
foreground from every print people order.
Last year I did a group photo of my girl friends family (about 30-35
people including children) and the 35 mm worked just fine. Found a nice
outdoor location too: a funny playing "castle" standing on a school
playground, that was built in several layers like a stairs. No need to
say the children did not mind posing at all! The background was also
pleasing - just trees.

Hans