Re: [OM] What Zuiko wide angle should I buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What Zuiko wide angle should I buy?
From: "Ian M. Stewart" <ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 19:35:30 +0100
Andre  Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> asked for experiences:

> The nontrivial problem with groups shots and 28mm lens is the distortion. I
> shot a group of about 40 people standing in rows, some up some stairs and
> other sitting, kneeling and standing.  And while the shoot was a good one,
> I noticed that the size of heads dropped off dramatically as you compare
> those sitting, , kneeling and standing in the next row.  I don't know what
> the "professionals" use for large group shots but I have looked at several
> photo books lately and noticed the least distortion was with those using 80
> to 85mm. Now they had to back up the camera a bit but the head sizes more
> like what the eye tricks you into seeing real life.
>
> Please share your experiences on groups shots and focal length.

I've only taken one group shot with my 28mm Zuiko so far.  18 people
stood in a double row, with one or two hanging around in the back.
Yes, those at the back have smaller looking heads, smaller that is
than they really have.  I don't regard this as 'distortion'.  It's a
matter of a change of perspective.  At the same party I used the
28mm to photograph down the long dining table, at an angle.  People
get smaller as they get further away and it doesn't look unnatural to
me.  The books say that the 50/55mm lenses have the most natural
perspective, not the 80mm.

In the room I was in a 50mm lens would not have got the whole group
in - lots of professional group photographers always shoot outside,
maybe not just for the light?

--

Ian  <IMS>
                  OM Tyro - please point my lens in the right direction.