Re: [OM] Surplus OM's

Subject: Re: [OM] Surplus OM's
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 20:46:19 +0100
In article , Richard Schtzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes
>Kennedy wrote:
>
>> The Royal Navy certainly use OMs.
>
>Some photographer at the RAF (Britsh not German ;-) ) use(d?) OMs too.

Some of the oil companies have Zuiko lenses on their submersibles that
are used for pipeline inspection and maintenance in the North Sea.
These minisubs are equipped with stereo vision video cameras and,
although the companies might not be aware of the lens origin themselves,
I am, because it was my first project when I joined the company I
currently work for almost two decades ago.

I suggested Zuiko 18mm f/3.5 for each of the stereo vision cameras on
the basis that they were compact and very fast for the field of view -
which needed to be extremely wide since it reduces by 1.5 underwater -
and distortion free.  Fortunately the project leader agreed with me, so
they were specified in the design.  I had the click stops removed so
that we could fit an auto-iris drive and a similar cog was fitted to the
focus drive.

Now you know why that lens is so expensive - oil companies are not known
for frugality.

Guess what happened to the lenses from the prototype when it was
subsequently decomissioned at the end of the experimental phase and the
parts scrapped?    ;-)

Fortunately I had kept the rubber focus ring together with the ball
bearing and spring from the aperture ring.

Anyone else had their Zuikos at 1500ft below sea level and still
working?  :-)
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)