Re: [OM] Re: 2-x screens again

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 2-x screens again
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:47:33 -0700
Garth, this is good news. I've already logged onto the Oly site and
requested new brochures.

I, for one, would not mind seeing a new OM styled after the features of the
Nikon F5. Auto-focus with the ability to use all manual focus Zuiko's. A
REAL pro level  flash system with auto fill flash. Matrix metering while
retaining the present mult-spot metering system. And yes, some new lenses,
both auto-focus and manual focus. The jury's still out on the composite
body. I love my all metal OMs, but the prices are soaring through the roof.
The Nikon F5 is over $2000 US street price. Maybe a composite body could
bring the price of a new OM more in line. I've got to give that one some
more thought. I still think the Oly system is tops, but if Olympus is going
to try to stay in the game at all, they've got to modernize at least a bit.

Regards,
John Austin
Oakland, CA

Garth Wood wrote:

[snip]
>John, I seriously doubt this.  I just received from Olympus America a
variety of >full-colour glossy marketroid-type stuff on various products,
including brand->spanking-new versions of brochures for the OM-4Ti.  >

[snip]
>I'd love to see an OM-5, but what the heck would they put in it?  They
screwed up >autofocus big-time in the 80s, and they've already got
fully-controllable bells-'n->whistles on their flagship OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti,
and unless they're planning on >doing the Contax trick with the "camera body
inside a camera body" for >autofocus that uses existing Zuikos, I'm at a
loss as to what else needs to be >done -- unless they've decided to produce
a composite body to lower the price.  >In my opinion, that wouldn't be so
bad, but that's almost the niche the OM-2000's >shooting for.  What would I
like to see?  More lenses!