RE: [OM] Lighting close up photos - Zuikoholism

Subject: RE: [OM] Lighting close up photos - Zuikoholism
From: "Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom)" <ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 01:10:13 -0400
>Chris B. wrote:-
snip
>>Well, I'm in it for both reasons.  I love taking photos, but with the
>>"right" equipment.  My poor wife knows that if I suggest a walk in the
>>woods around here (Dutch/German border) I will take my little OM1N with
>>FP4+ loaded in the hope of finding some decent light playing through the
>>trees and dappling a small woodland cottage etc...  But I also scan the
>>back pages of Amateur Photographer for unexpectedly good deals.
>snip

'I love taking photos, but with the "right" equipment'   - hmmm, makes
sense to me, yessss, it has a nice ring to it.  Say Chris, would you
mind if I use that line on my Wife next time she is looking for
incriminating evidence on our credit card statement? :-)

After 10 months of frenzied OM system seek and acquire, I think I'm
starting to level off.  While I wouldn't say that I'm not going to buy
any Oly stuff ever again,  I'm very happy with the gear acquired so far
and would like to spend more time learning how to use it properly.  I
think this means I'm cured of Zuikoholism now (the buying side at least)
what a relief......... I think.

Lately I've been pushing the Pentax into the wife's hands when we are
out and about and telling her "Here you take the picture" ( I'm not
quite ready to share my OM gear yet),  makes a photography orientated
trip more interesting for all concerned.

One last thing, after several failed attempts to get a properly exposed
night time shot of the moon,  I finally succeeded the other day by using
the Looney 11 rule on the OM1n.  Previous attempts with Pentax MZ-50,
OM1n, spot meter on OM4 and processing by Pro-Lab failed usually
resulting in a burnt out white disc.   On this last attempt, I used a
300 f4.5 tripod mounted on an OM1 with 100 speed print film loaded,
shutter on 1/125th, aperture on f11 with a double exposure of the moon
(one in each upper corner).  I did a third exposure on the same frame of
my son sleeping on a black bean bag.

I took the film to the local one hour mini-lab and when I got the print
back, there they were - two nicely exposed images of the moon, trouble
was one of the moons was sitting on top of my sleeping son's head , as
Foxy would say - man was I spewing.
Being so laid back about buying camera gear nowadays, I admirably
resisted this strong urge to rush out and buy a focussing screen with
grid pattern,  oh and running out of money had a bit to do with it too.

Any way, the adventure continues, I'm attending my first darkroom class
tonight, and next month, after pay day,  I'll be getting my own slide
projector - cool.

Regards
S.C.