[OM] Lighting close up photos

Subject: [OM] Lighting close up photos
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Apr 98 11:29:49 +1000
Cc: sgoggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello All Olympoids,

Just wanted to share a technique I have been trying out for lighting of
macro photos of small flowers and other portable objects.  I had tried
natural light, and flash for illuminating these photos,  but was not really
happy with either. ie they were too complicated to get right.  Also I don;t
have any spare cash for purchising the proper flash equip etc.

So I tried using low voltage halogen lighting.   I bought some 50 watt low
voltage down light kits and wired them up.   I find the light produced by
these lights to be very even,  and of a very nice colour.  They are much
whiter than ordinary incandescant but not as cool/blue as a flash light.   I
have now set up a work area in my kitchen with the low voltage spotlights
mounted pointing at the counter top from various angles,  each light can be
powered up as required to get back/ side and front lighting.

The advantage of these lights is that I can see in real time the effects
they produce, and I can easily afford more than one of these units, as each
costs around $15.   In fact the place I buy them from also offers these
lights on a gooseneck fitting that can be adjusted to point any where....  I
will have to try these out next.

One excellant feature of these lights is that the filament is extremely
bright, so if you use it on items that have been misted with water you get a
very neat sparkling effect.

Next project will be a battery powered version of these using 12v 6.5AH gel
cells for use outdoors.

OLY CONTENT:
   How does one stop purchasing Olympus camera bodies.??? ;-)  I seem to
pick up a new camera with evey lense I buy.  I am now up to three OM10's, an
OM20 and an OM2000.   Two bodies I can explain to my fiancee as required,
one for black and white and one for colour,  but how can one explain five
bodies....? 8-)  I usually just say, "its that olympus thing again"....

Regards

Stuart