Re: [OM] Olympus and our Craft

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus and our Craft
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:13:56 -0500
>Gee, guesstimating exposure is great if you always take pictures under
>average lighting conditions, but I certainly thankful for light meters 20
>minutes before sunrise, under dense cloud covers in the Pacific Northwest
>or in Europe, or cathedral statuary lit by indirect light from windows or
>stained glass 30 or 40 feet above. With no meter, I guess it is bracket,
>bracket, bracket?

Not ncessarily.  What is the subject?  Meter/expose for the subject.
Sometimes spot meters are the only way to go, other times it's an incident
light meter.  I agree that guestimating has its limitations, but can't be
discounted--especially in night-time photography (or how about IR?).
Experience is the greatest teacher, and learning how to meter a sunset is
something that once learned will result in better pictures than letting the
camera get fooled.  The F5 has a color matrix to determine that it's a
sunset and not an oncoming train.  It takes a lot of electronics/dsp
horsepower to make simple decisions.

Yes, I'm drooling over the F5, but still love the retro-grouch Olympus
cameras.  That 8fps motor drive, auto-bracketing, auto-focus, ultra-cool
flash control, techno-brick is awesome.

Ken N.