Re: [OM] 80mm and 135mm Macro lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] 80mm and 135mm Macro lenses
From: Lars Bergquist <timberwolf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 08:06:08 +0000
>I know some people out there have these lenses. I've only ever seem photos
>of them (which I find ironic. Photos of camera gear). The black bit that
>extends back, does it contain any glass, or is it just there to stop anyone
>mounting it direct on a body?
>
>Thanks
>
>Foxy

Well, I have both of them. The optical systems do extend a considerable
distance behind the bayonet so these 'black bits' are necessary. It would
have been perverse of Olympus to use them otherwise, for they do not
prevent you from mounting the lenses directly -- but if you do, you will
smash the mirror and its mechanism, in effect destroying the camera!
You could of course do it on an OM-1 with the mirror up (the way you did
with old Nikon fisheyes), but then you cannot focus visually -- and the
lenses have no focusing scales of course!

The reason for this reduced back focus is the variable extension tube
which telescopes. It has to have a certain minimum length to be useful.

Vänliga hälsningar/Best regards
Lars Bergquist
Välkommen till/Welcome to ...
<http://www.bahnhof.se/~timberwolf/>