Re: [OM] Simplicity vs. automation (Nominated for F.A.Q.)

Subject: Re: [OM] Simplicity vs. automation (Nominated for F.A.Q.)
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:22:12 EDT
Hi BW:

Thanks for the nomination!  I'm not the type to nominate my own material.

When one resists marketing schemes long enough they become empowered and
boldly go where others no longer go.  Constant TV pitches becomes an
irritation.  Print media seems like "ad" nauseum.  There is a wonderful relief
in the escape experienced by getting behind the viewfinder and discovering
one's creative and individualistic self.  The peaceful quietness of a nature
shoot can keep us sane and well-balanced.  But links to the creative controls
on a manual camera seem very important in this process.  It engages us enough
intellectually to keep asking of us "Is this what you really see?"  With a
dumb automatic everything camera we never get asked.  Thus, the camera
produces its own dumb vision of the scene.

The flip side to this is something like a manual, but features galore Canon
T-90.  Yikes, it may have a heck of a metering system, but as Herbert Keppler
once remarked [loosely quoted]: The Canon design philosophy is to offer you
every control imaginable.  The Olympus philosophy is to keep it simple but
powerful.  I saw one of these T-90's at a great price ($289 with 50mm f/1.4).
But after taking a glance at the maze of controls I quickly concluded that the
OM-3 or 4 are MY only expansion options.  Anything else in my hands and I
would be thinking instead of feeling my photography.  What an important
difference and so foreign to American marketing.  Maybe I should have been
born to a different culture?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV