Re: [OM] focusing screens

Subject: Re: [OM] focusing screens
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 07:49:17 -0400
Alain wrote:
> How do identify the matte 2-13? Any code on the matte?

All screens can be identified by the number that is printed on the tab.
The "1" series don't have prefixes, so the 1-13 is just labeled "13".
The "2" series do have a prefix. The 2-13 tab is labeled 2-13. Besides
the tab of the "2" series is positioned more the right and can't
therefore be mounted in an OM-1 or OM-2. Btw, the 1-4 screen comes in
two varieties; the 1-4n (with a circle indicating the OM-4(Ti) 2pot
metering) is labeled 4n. If, btw, you're thinking you can find a "2"
series occasion - just as likely as finding an OM-3Ti occasion, chances
close to zero.

What greatly puzzles me is that the original OM-4, which dates from
1984, was prepared for the "2" series focusing screens, but that
Olympus waited, as I believe, until 1995 to deliver the two new screens
to the world, together with the OM-3Ti. And yes way back in 1972 they
already decided to name the "1" series as "1" series, suggesting they
already knew there would be a "2" series.
Is this all part of some Great Big Master Plan? Is the OM-5 AF already
designed maybe five years ago, but are they waiting for the delivery
until 2005, making sure everybody - including themselves - has survived
the year 2000 crisis?

Hans