Re: [OM] OM-2SP

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2SP
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:52:53 EDT
Hi John:

The OM-2S is my bread and butter OM camera.  It is based on the OM-3 and 4
lineage and should not be compared to the OM-1 and 2 lineage.  For example, it
has the semi-silvered mirror with a piggy back metering "screen."  As such, it
is fully professional and is a "poor man's" OM-4.  However, as I've posted
here before, my meter is getting flaky on me and spikes and beeps on too many
occasions.  (But it has been through a virtual ware).  I'd get another OM-2S,
though - assuming I couldn't get an OM-4 instead.  I wouldn't go back to an
OM-2n because I can't live without the spot meter.

I've seen one nice condition OM-2S at $200 (with a scratched 50mm f/1.4), but
no other ones in my travels.  I'd rate it an uncommon to rare find in used
markets.

The Program mode is handy, but I seldom use it because I'm 1/2 an aperture
priority auto shooter and 1/2 a manual shooter.  I just want that extra
control.  The spot meter is a godsend.  I use it each and everytime I doubt
the auto exposure setting - which is often!  It is easy to take spot readings
of a highlight and shadow and do the mental math to get an average setting, or
to take one or the other and compensated by the necessary 2 1/3 to 2 2/3
stops.  Of course the OM-4 does this easier, but like I said it is a "poor
man's" OM-4

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV