Re: [OM] OTF light metering w / 280 Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OTF light metering w / 280 Flash
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:00:20 +0200
ONLYOLY BW wrote:

> In a message dated 98-04-08 14:20:35 EDT,
> Richard you write:
> << the image projected on the shutter curtain patern. Does the OM-3Ti have
>  a pattern on the shutter curtain?

Does it? If I remember right, there is no patern on the shutter.

>  Is there someone who knows how the FP exposure is calculated? >>
>
> Snip !
> Hi Richard,
> I sure hope you can help this dummy figure out this 280, it is driveing me mad
> as well.  I also thought the OTF metering controlled the output in Super FP
> Mode, but the OM3Ti manual says you can set the lever to TTL Auto or X, then
> set the shutter speed and aperture according to the chart, it has no control
> like in TTL.  Therefore, I guess ?? with the camera in manual mode and the
> flash in  FP Mode, we use it just like the old manual flashes?? It just gives
> us the long 1/25 sec duration flash so we can use higher shutter speeds. With
> the OM4T, I guess we can set the camera to Manual and do the same thing??

Manual mode is manual ;-) I think you guessed right.

> Right?  But how does the OM4T control the exposure with the camera in Auto
> mode and flash in Super FP mode.  Would not the camera control the shutter
> speed, increasing or decreasing as needed??

I´ve two informations, the FP flash time is variable between 1/25 and
1/50 sec and the OM-4Ti catalog says, that the flash time selection is
coupled with the aperture.
Additionaly there is no way to change the FP flash output after the
shutter has started.

The conection with the aperture is necesary because otherwise there
would be the danger of over flashing if the object is near, the aperture
wide open and the shutter time relativly long (for expl. 1/80 in a dark
stuation). The catch is, that the camera has no info of the aperture,
just a relative info how many stops the lens will close.
The FP flash time is always longer than the sync time, that sugest, that
the flash starts before the shutter in Auto mode.
An posibility for adjusting the FP flash output would be, that the flash
starts after the mirror is up and the aperture has closed, mixing the
flash light with ambient light. The OM-4Ti (OM-77AF and OM-707 too?) is
now able to chose an shutter time which avoids overexposure. If the OM
would measure the ambient light before the flash starts, it could
balance flash light to ambient light.
Am I right?

> The Dummy BW

Waiting too for info