[OM] DIY external battery pack for OM4T

Subject: [OM] DIY external battery pack for OM4T
From: Marko Vrabec <marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 11:34:50 +0200
Firstly, great thanks to everybody who contributed to "OM4T in cold
weather" topic. I have decided to go for the DIY external battery pack,
per instructions of  F.van Lindert as relayed by R. Schätzl.

Due to tight timing constraints (I leave for Spitsbergen on Sunday) I
was not able to find anybody who could properly connect the adjustable
voltage regulator chip for me. Therefore I am left with an option to use
just two ordinary 1,5V cells as a power supply, in which case voltage
regulator is not needed. However, my learned friend (who has a degree in
electrical engineering) warned me, that the internal resistance of the
1,5V source cells could produce dangerously high currents, which could
smoke the electronics of my camera. This is not specifically mentioned
in the DIY instructions.

Does anybody have an opinion on this, or even experience? Is the
volatge-regulator-less setup with 2 x 1.5V battery cells safe, or not?

> If the voltage connector is hard to find, you could use a poor man's
> solution by only connecting two 1.5 volt alkaline cells (e.g. AA
> cells) together with the cord. Special 2-cell cases do exist. In this
> case you will have to check the voltage regularly, particularly when
> the kids 'borrow' your cells and put their empty ones in instead...

Best regards,

Marko Vrabec
Department of Geology, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia