Re: [OM] PvT again (was Hi OLY Gang!-Price Increases!)

Subject: Re: [OM] PvT again (was Hi OLY Gang!-Price Increases!)
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:15:29 +0200
Garth Wood wrote:

>Folks, I've only dealt with Paul once over the phone.  He was pleasant,
helpful, positively *chatty* when you consider he was paying the freight on
the 1-800 number he posts on his Website, and he sent me exactly what I
needed when I needed it.

>I *love* the Oly line, but frankly, some of the behaviour on this list
strikes me as churlish, fanatical and over-the-top.  GIVE IT A REST, WILLYA?

>Paul probably got the FAX because, unlike your corner camera shop (which
only does the occasional special order and therefore has no "real"
relationship with Olympus America), he carries a quarter of a million
dollars' worth of inventory at any one time, and thus "counts."  Anyone
wanna bet me that if we phoned B&H, they would have received the same FAX?
(BTW, that's a quarter of a million U.S. dollars, which is -- what, two,
mebbe three billion dollars Canadian?  ...  ;-).  That's a lot of
commitment, when you get right down to it.

>Sorry for wasting the bandwidth.  I'm just pissed at some rather ungracious
behaviour here.

I've tried to stay out of this thread, however...

The only time I've dealt with Paul was when he sent me the Oly calendar,
which he sent promptly and with absolutely NO profit at all. I surely know
off no other dealer that would have done this.

I do have experiences with KEH that are not entirely good, however. When
they sent me two (EX+  and HIGH-priced) konverters they could only send it
via Fed-ex, which meant $100US (ouch!) in shipping to Sweden. These two
small items could easily have been sent in a box as regular air-mail,
reducing costs drastically. This I tried to say in a e-mail, no, not so with
KEH.
Upon checking my items after arrival I immediately discovered a big (10 mm)
scratch on the 2X converter. This was sold as an EX+ item. Makes me wonder
how their bargain items are.
Next surprise was that no caps at all were included, I know, my own fault, I
should have read the fine print, but have any of you tried to locate caps
for the 1.4X? (I've made my own out of one rear lens cap and one body cap).

Others on this have remarked that B&H adds a quite large "administrative
cost" on every overseas order regardless if you buy a focus screen or a
350/2.8, not very funny.

I bet Paul is much more flexible regarding matters as these, since at least
I can sense a committed guy of flesh and blood (commercial, yes, we all have
to have bread), not just a big, money-making enterprise.

I wouldn't hesitate in ordering from Paul in the future, should any need
arise.

Please let us all be friends.

Ulf Westerberg