[OM] OTF light metering

Subject: [OM] OTF light metering
From: Miguel <mirko@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:11:12 +0200
Hi friends,
I don´t pretend to make you read this stuff;  but  if  you like the
subject, I  would  be  very  pleased  if  you  could  help  me.

When we use Olympus  F280  synchro flash  in auto mode with  OM4ti,
selecting SuperFP or Normal OTF, the camera will calculate  a right
exposure, metering the incoming light reflected by film plane.
I have  noticed  how in night  photography, when I take a  portrait
with my 50mm/f1.2, enhancing the subject but also background is out
of focus  with  a  colourway of typical circles of confusion due to
the low light. In order to blur the background, using a short focal
distance I must go close to subject and select f1.2 to get the back
blurred.
Here is my doubt,
        If  my camera meters  the light (center-weighted) resulting
1/8s  but  the  subject is only 0.60m  from my camera,  the shutter
curtain  is  going  to close  as  soon as  the light beeing metered
by OTF(off-the-film)system has properly exposed the film; resulting
my  background  rendered  in  rich  black,  due  the camera shot at
1/60. This  sytem is great because you avoid an overexposed picture
but;
How can you balance the light  from  something close the camera and
the background?

1.Using a short-telephoto Zuiko 85mm/f2, in order to move away from
the  subject  and I get the  background  blurred still reducing two
stops down.
2.Using exposure  compensation;  but I think  the shutter  speed is
going to be lower.
When I used  to  shoot with my OM-1  with my flash sync to 1/60 and
I had to choose the right aperture according to distance to subject
I never thought about  hand-shaking, but with  this  system I never
know at which shutter speed is going to take the picture.

If I want to take a portrait using flash and  meter the exact light
coming from the redish sky. Will I  have to put in  manual mode the
camera and put the right aperture according to subject distance???

Please HELP, HELP, HELP...I thing this is enough to drive you mad!!!

Thank you for having readed this stuff!!!

Dave

OLYMPUS FOREVER!!!