Re: [OM] long time no write!

Subject: Re: [OM] long time no write!
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 08:49:16 -0600
At 03:22 PM 4/5/98 +0200, Siri Bjoner <sbjoner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>My new employer is a master of typography,
>which means I will receive training in all those wonderful proggies:
>photoshop, illustrator, quarkxpress and pagemaker. Hurrah! Garth, is your
>photo gallery still open? I hope to be able to scan some images pretty
>soon, both from my EE2 and OMs!

Siri;

First off, yes, I'm still taking submissions for the Olympus Gallery (which
I hope to have up and running within the next two weeks).  You can ship me
files at my e-mail address.  The size of the file is unimportant to me -- I
have a virtual firehose for an Internet connection (which is a good thing
-- just got back from Vancouver after four days, and had 470[!] e-mails to
download).

Second, go for Photoshop the most if you can.  I really believe that in the
world of electronic photo distribution, Photoshop's capable of replacing
all of those "by hand" techniques we previously did in darkrooms (with the
exception of some dodging/burning in), and you can produce amazing results.
 Also, I strongly recommend you check out a program called Corel Xara,
which does the same things as Illustrator and Draw, but with a fraction of
the hassle and better algorithms for smoothing, antialiasing, etc.

Finally, I'm back on-list.  Vancouver's weather was most uncooperative, but
I managed to do a whole afternoon of shooting at the Queen Elizabeth
gardens in Vancouver.  While I got many (hopefully) sublime photos, the
most amusing were from groups of young Spanish girls wandering around.
They kept asking me to photograph them!  (At every point, I would turn to
my wife and say "Gotta come back here!" and she would reply [with a wounded
voice] "Hey!" and give me a nudge in the ribs.)  **HEAVY SIGH**

Finally, in the airport on the way home, sat beside a gent who had a whack
of Canon gear, including a couple of honourably battle-scarred F1's.  We
traded notes, and he mentioned (once again, apparently -- he runs into Oly
users occasionally) how marvelous the small, light Oly gear was.  Then I
whipped out my 100mm F/2.0 lens and gave him a gander through the
viewfinder.  Darned if he didn't start salivating...

Garth