Re: Re: [OM] OM4T in cold weather

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] OM4T in cold weather
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:04:56 +0200

ONLYOLY BW wrote:
>In a message dated 98-04-06 07:40:31 EDT,
>Ulf you write:  << Two Swedish photographers have made 29(!) expeditions to
>Arctica the last
> years. They have been using Nikons, F4, F5, F90's. F90s did have some
> problems in the cold >>
>SNIP !
>Hi Ulf,
>I was talking to a guy in a camera store in Anchorage, Alaska last year
about
>Olympus.  He new a photographer who climbs mountains in Alaska and all over
>the world and the only camera he will use is a OM3Ti.
>BW

A common technique used by these guys in the bitter cold in Arctica was to
shut off auto-focus, take a picture, then the camera would die for 10-15
seconds, wait that period, try to take another and so on, eventually hoping
you would capture the scene before batteries totally run out.  A OM1 or OM3
user would just shoot and be happy. I personally can't comprehend why
mechanical cameras (FM2) weren't used. (Note: They were sponsored by Nikon).
Frans Lanting did in Antarctica.

Ulf Westerberg