Re: [OM] OM4T in cold weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T in cold weather
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 22:50:53 +0200
Marko Vrabec wrote:

> Dear fellow OManiacs,
>
> I will leave for Spitsbergen in a week and would like to know if anybody
> has experience and/or suggestions for using an OM4T in a temperature
> range from -10 to -30 Celsius (14 to -22 Farenheit)?

Are you going to Ny Alesund? You make me realy envious, I´ve been to
Spitzbergen two times, only a day each and by ship. In Sommer, the
temperatures are not so low normaly, but you will notice, how contrasty
and sharp your Zuikos are, because the air is so clear and calm. You
will also think, that many things are nearer than they actualy are,
because you will be able to look much further than normaly in Europe.
The colors of your pictures will also be more saturated.

> I plan to take two camera bodies and many spare batteries. The likely
> problematic scenarios are:
> - bringing cameras from heated premises to the outside

No problem, but bringing them in will be a problem, Bruce Appelbaums
reply is perfect.

> - carrying cameras with me on a daytrip or several days' trip in
> constant cold

Don´t let the camera geting to cold, beside of not working batteries,
you might freeze your skin to the metal.

> When outdoors, I could carry cameras in a pocket inside my protective
> clothing, but I suspect there would be condensation problems when I take
> them out, especially since I will likely sweat.

The oposite, when you take them in. The humidy will be a problem in the
tropical interior of your suit, because there will be corrosion and
condensation problems (shortcuts) ocure, at least on the long time. Some
people sugest to put handwarmer into the photobag, I think this will be
insuficent for really serious cold.

> Of course, spare batteries can be carried warm easily, but changing them
> in gust wind and using heavy gloves is not really trivial...

Frank van Lindert had an sugestion for an battery adapter, I think..

Richard (orang Jerman, ..bukan bisnis)

"Saya bukan orang Belanda"