Re: [OM] Circular vs Linear Polarizers Test

Subject: Re: [OM] Circular vs Linear Polarizers Test
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 03:27:05 +0100
In article , PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx> writes
>Hi Kennedy:
>
>We can sure rely on you to rebuff dogma, even when it comes from a mouthpiece
>of the supposed grandmaster himself, Ansel Adams.  Hey, don't take that wrong.
>I'm impressed with your argument [accented with a "PvT" !!!].
>
>Hum, guess I'll be doing more bracketing IF I choose to use a polarizer on
>landscapes with water or leaf reflections.  It is looking more and more like
>one should only filter when there is a strong need to.
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

OK Gary, I confess - polarisation of light was the subject of my final
two-year project at university many years ago.  This included
photographic as well as scientific applications of polarimetry and
birefringence - including a complete theoretical analysis of the
polarisation of light through various media and at metal, dielectric and
semiconductor interfaces.  The difference between circular, elliptical
and linear polarisation is only a small part of the topic.  Without
exagerating, I would guess I have forgotten more about the subject in
the intervening 20 years than most people ever knew.

One man's rule of thumb is another man's dogma!
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)