Re: [OM] Lens Comparison Test Procedure

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Comparison Test Procedure
From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 4 Apr 98 14:00:18 +0200
On Ven, 3 apr 1998 7:27, ONLYOLY BW <mailto:ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>I would like to come up with a procedure to test my own lenses against
each
>other at Close-up / Macro ranges of 0.5X to 1x mag.  I would like to test
both
>Flat and 3-D objects.  Here are some of my questions.  All testing will be
>done on a Kaiser copy stand with a OM 4T.

Cool!

>Should I use flash, the lamps or take it outside?

the flash and lamps solutions look more reproductible.

>What slide film should I use?
>Is Sensia 100 OK or should I go to 25 ASA?

It is OK, may choose KM, PKM or RVP for very slight better resolution.

>What subject should I use for flat?

A banknote (with many colors), a stamp, a contact print, a neg (if you can
dia-enlight).

>What subject should I use for 3-D?

Why? maybe a computer board, or a coin.

>Should the subject be Black & White or Color?

Color, and with a variety of.

>What do the professional labs use?

Dunno

>Evaluation can be done with a Peak 4X loupe and light table or should I
borrow
>a 8X or 10X?

For 0.5 or 1 ratios the difference should be very visible...

>I could scan them into Photoshop?
>Should I mount the slides or leave them uncut?
>What should I look for in the slides?

Color, center-corner, contrast, "reality", resolution, what you like.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated, and a fun project for this weekend.
>For those interested, I plan to compare my 50mm macro's both f3.5 &f2.0 w/
>25mm Ext tube,

Would be interesting to compare the 0.5 reproductions with and without the
extension tube.

135mm & 80mm macro with 65-116 auto tube, Vivitar Series 1 90mm
>w/1:1 adapter, 65-116 auto tube with 200mm f4,135 f2.8 100mm f2.8 and 85 f
>2.0.  I will also try a 2Xa converter with various Tele lenses.
>WOW this may take more than a weekend!
>Please give me some ideas.

Try wide open, f/4 and f/8.

Marco