Re: [OM] Paul Van T.

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul Van T.
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 18:23:54 +1000
>Woah, are you serious?  Do people in Australia run the risk of going to
>jail, for instance, if they say something against their government?
>What do you mean when you say you don't have freedom of speech?
>When you say that, I think of China, where every computer user is
>required to register his/her modem with the government.
>
>John
>Camtech

Theoretically, yes (or so i've been told by a lawyer friend). Practically
no, as all Australian governments pride themselves on adhering to UN
charters. So they wouldn't try it.

Well, sort of. In the US it is clear cut. Our law stems from UK common law
and is more vague. The government says things against the government, so
this is not an issue.

The legal right to freedom of speech is not enshrined in law. But it is so
muddy that effectively it is.

It works well, as nobody uses their freedoms to abuse too much (sory if I
generalise the US here, but I only know what I see on the idiot box).

Foxy

Oly content - send rain!