Re: [OM] Misc. Olympus cord questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Misc. Olympus cord questions
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 20:39:51 GMT
On Thu, 02 Apr 1998 13:47:36 -0500, "R. Lee Hawkins"
<lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi all:
>I have two questions about Olympus cords:
>
>       1.  The M.Quartz Control 1 cord uses a 3 conductor stereo 2.5mm
>       plug, as does its extension cord.  Apparently this is to allow
>       for "feedback" from the motor drive/winder.  However, in looking
>       at the jack for this plug on the Winder 2, it apparently is
>       only 2 conductor (mono).  This leads me to believe that this
>       "feedback" only comes from the motor drive.  What does this
>       feedback consist of?  A pulse everytime a exposure is taken?
>       Why is this necessary, if that's what it is?

Hi Lee

This pulse (that's what it is, afaik) sets the counter back one
position every time an exposure has been made. This facility is indeed
only available with motor drive 2 (not MD1 or any of the winders). The
counter can be set in every position up to 250 (for use with the 250
frame backs). It is very accurate, unlike the hard-to-read mechanical
counter on top of the 250 back (and the counter on the camera is
useless, of course, with the 250 back attached).

>       2.  Does anyone know the pinout of the 5 pin ttl sockets on
>       a T-32?  What I'd like to do is cut a TTL Cord 0.3M in half,
>       and solder the end of a PC cord to the appropriate pins.  This
>       would allow me to use my TTL cabling with one slave, thus saving
>       me having to buy a number of slaves and pc cords.  Will this
>       work?

This pin layout question has been answered about a half year ago, but
I don't remember now (and have discarded the old mail). The easiest
thing to do is use a resistance meter to measure zero impedance
between connected leads on the hot shoe on the camera and its cable
socket, or pins on a connector 4 and socket holes on the same
(comparing to a shoe 4), or even easier on a T-20 connector. I will be
happy to carry out this job if you haven't the gear for it, but it
will have to wait. I am to busy answering emails ;-)
I think your setup will work, otherwise manual or normal auto flashing
on an OM 1 would also be impossible with interconnected T flashes.

Good luck, Frank.