Re: [OM] "IS" Series Battery Drain

Subject: Re: [OM] "IS" Series Battery Drain
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:45:07 -0600
>noon!). Quite possibly the shutter release button was depressed while
>the
>camera was in it's case - Could this be the missing link??

Reminds me of an incident that happened to me about 10 years ago.  I was
working as a software technical support job for a company thaty supplied
scheduling/accounting systems to radio stations.  One day I got a call from
a client who was complaining that her computer would automatically start
running reports and entering cryptic data into fields, etc.

Well, her computer was an IBM AT which was notorious for being sensitive to
RF (Radio Frequency) Interference.  At one station you needed to clip a
grounding wire on yourself before you could even approach the computer, but
I digress.

I immediately thought "RF".  Hey, it's a radio station, after all, and
almost everytime it was a grounding or shielding problem.  Well, I talked
with her and the station engineer and they were very insistent that it
wasn't RF affecting the computer.  It even happened while the station was
running nighttime power (5 watts).  We couldn't figure it out, but everyday
for a week she would call and complain again.  The common scenario was that
she would take a phone call, turn around from her computer desk and type up
an order on the typewriter.  We tried recreating that scenario without
causing the problem.  Hmm.  Mystery.

Two weeks later she called back again and said "Ken, you were right.  It was
RF--RF the station cat!"  They had a cat at the radio station called "RF".
This cat slept on top of the computer monitor (nice warm spot).  When the
lady took a phone call, she would turn around and start typing on the
typewriter which woke the cat up.  The cat would stretch and jump off the
monitor onto the keyboard and then to the floor and zip out of the room
before the lady would turn around.  Meanwhile the computer has started
printing a report or whatever because the cat had pressed the keys to make
it happen.

Moral of the story:  The true cause of the problem can be a little difficult
to determine, and secondly, tech support people have really tough jobs.

Ken Norton
Olympus Content:  I have a picture of "RF the cat"