Re: [OM] Olympus from Modern Photo..

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus from Modern Photo..
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 18:05:50 -0800
>Hi all:
>Just back from a day copying every substantial Oly article in Modern
>Photography from 1973-1982.  I copied all the lens tests, lots of
>T-mount mirror lens tests, the "annual review" pages, and the annual
>lens lists.  I skipped most of the "subjective" articles like Keppler's
>column and the general "how to use a zoom" type things.  Got most of the
>Photokina announcements.  Over the next few evenings, I'll be compiling
>this stuff into a file for the FAQ page.  Oh-- I'm also going to make a
>list of the MSRP and Cambridge (I know, we all hate Cambridge, but they
>do have ads in photo mags from all the way back in the stone age till
>today) prices for 1974, 1978, and 1981-82.  Then  you can compare what
>this stuff cost new to what you are paying for it now used.  Anyone
>wanna help by adding the years 1986, 1990, 1994?  I'll add 1998 :).  If
>you do want to contribute, just send me the annual modern photo lens
>list with a photocopy of the Cambridge Oly ad for that issue, and I'll
>add the data in.  You can send it to the address below.   Also, if
>anyone has access to the MP's after 12/82, or these MP's that we were
>missing: 12/73, 2/74, and 9/74, I'd love to get the Zuiko lens tests
>from those.  Finally, I made no attempt to find lenses from other
>manufacturers that are comparable to Zuikos.  Time just didn't permit
>that kind of research.  If someone else would like to contribute that
>info, I'd be happy to add it, assuming: 1) The focal lengths match the
>Zuiko focal lengths, 2) The max apertures match, and 3) The range is the
>same, in the case of a zoom.  "Close" doesn't count.  It has to be the
>same lens, just by a different manufacturer.
>
>Cheers,
>--Lee

Lee,

I had a few minutes after my jury duty here in Long Beach to walk over to
the library and do some browsing. What would be really nice on your web
page, if possible, would be a copy of one of those beautiful, color OM
System ads that they ran back then with the lenses, the microscopes,
bellows, flashes, etc. Just a suggestion. Then maybe send an EMail to Oly
USA and OLY Japan with your web address. Maybe it would get them excited
again.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx