[OM] Olympus from Modern Photo..

Subject: [OM] Olympus from Modern Photo..
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:26:56 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all:
Just back from a day copying every substantial Oly article in Modern
Photography from 1973-1982.  I copied all the lens tests, lots of
T-mount mirror lens tests, the "annual review" pages, and the annual
lens lists.  I skipped most of the "subjective" articles like Keppler's
column and the general "how to use a zoom" type things.  Got most of the
Photokina announcements.  Over the next few evenings, I'll be compiling
this stuff into a file for the FAQ page.  Oh-- I'm also going to make a
list of the MSRP and Cambridge (I know, we all hate Cambridge, but they
do have ads in photo mags from all the way back in the stone age till
today) prices for 1974, 1978, and 1981-82.  Then  you can compare what
this stuff cost new to what you are paying for it now used.  Anyone
wanna help by adding the years 1986, 1990, 1994?  I'll add 1998 :).  If
you do want to contribute, just send me the annual modern photo lens
list with a photocopy of the Cambridge Oly ad for that issue, and I'll
add the data in.  You can send it to the address below.   Also, if
anyone has access to the MP's after 12/82, or these MP's that we were
missing: 12/73, 2/74, and 9/74, I'd love to get the Zuiko lens tests
from those.  Finally, I made no attempt to find lenses from other
manufacturers that are comparable to Zuikos.  Time just didn't permit
that kind of research.  If someone else would like to contribute that
info, I'd be happy to add it, assuming: 1) The focal lengths match the
Zuiko focal lengths, 2) The max apertures match, and 3) The range is the
same, in the case of a zoom.  "Close" doesn't count.  It has to be the
same lens, just by a different manufacturer.

Cheers,
--Lee