Re: [OM] OLY mount Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro with 1:1 ada

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY mount Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro with 1:1 ada
From: ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:41:15 +0000
Giles wrote:

> > I was told it was made by Kiron???  Who is Kiron???
>
> Brand name of Kino Precision Optical Co.  A Japanese company that
> made/makes some very solid and fine lenses.  I had one of their
> 30-80 f3.5/4.5 varifocals as a standard lens on a N*k*on, before I
> saw the light.  It was the equal of a zuiko in terms of construction
> quality, and possibly opticly.  My father has a 28-210 f4.5/5.6 Kiron
> in OM mount that is astonishingly good in contrast and sharpness
> given the extreem range it covers.
>
> I understand that Kino Precision made lenses for other manufacturers
> who got miffed when they introduced lenses under their own brand.
> These other manufacturers persuaded them to pull out of the market.
>
> I have always thought this a great shame as I believe they have made
> many of the best lenses for the better known manufacturers and should
> have continued in their own right.  I believe they could have
> eventualy taken a premier position in the market as they must have
> superior design and manufactuing capabillities otherwise why else
> would the other manufacturers get them to make 'their' best lenses
> for them?

Thank you Giles for the knowledge.  My Kiron 1.5X MatchMate MC
teleconverter has just risen in my esteem!  Actually I've had some
nce results with this on my Zuiko 135 for the junior football league,
and with the 50 f1.8 it makes a very nice portrait combo.
Ian  <IMS>
                  OM Tyro - please point my lens in the right direction.
mailto:ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxx