[OM] OM-1n, flashes and and light seals...

Subject: [OM] OM-1n, flashes and and light seals...
From: Mike Lipphardt <liphardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 00:52:25 -0500
In order of importance;

I just had a closer look at my pretty little OM-1n and I find some
disturbing evidence of light seal degradation or downright disappearance.
Can someone pop the back of their OM-1 and tell me if there ought to be
foam all the way around the groove the lip of the back fits into?  I'm not
entirely sure there needs to be, since my Maxxum stuff doesn't have
anything like that around it's back.  But on the other hand, there's junk
that looks as though it might have been foam rubber at one time.

If it is in fact supposed to be there, has anyone tackled the job of
replacing it?  I see PvT is advertising it on his site, and since I'll be
calling him tomorrow for a lens (and possibly a flash, although that's
lower priority) I may just as well get the foam at the same time.

I have been considering buying a flash for this thing.  I have a Metz
40MZ2, which, if you've seen one, is just WAY too big for this little
camera.  I need pretty good horsepower since I also use bounce and swivel
quite a bit.  I've been considering a Sunpak 383, since I had one for about
5 years and liked it very well.  However, the Metz has spoiled me with it's
better control - the available aperture settings don't vary with film
speed.  I notice however that the shoe 4 has dedication contacts and the
FAQ tells me there is a flash ready/sufficient light in the viewfinder.
Did Olympus ever make a reasonable shoe mount flash?  Looking at the
unofficial web site, I'm not too thrilled with what I see available.
Judging by some of the traffic on the OML, I'm led to believe that's not an
uncommon sentiment.

Thanks for input into these issues.

Regards

"The camera always points both ways.  In expressing your subject,
you also express yourself."  Freeman Patterson