Re: [OM] OM-2S Meter Question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S Meter Question
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:58:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, PCA Cala wrote:

|Hi John:
|
|<< Sounds like Gary's idea of using a 200/5 is the way for you to go if you
|can find one used.  It's as short and about as light as a standard lens but is
|a true 200mm tele. >>
|
|I'm waiting on UPS today, so I have time on my hands to do immediate responses
|. . .
|
|My Sekonic is 450 grams (and 180 mm long) with case.  The 200 mm f/5.0 Zuiko
|is 380 grams (and 105 mm long - almost a 0.5:1 telephoto ratio!).  Considering
|I already carry an OM body when I shoot the 4x5, I'd be sheading 70 grams,
|plus 510 grames for the 200 mm f/4.0 I often carry in the 4x5's aluminum case.
|I'm starting to like this idea.  Maybe someone this Sunday (at the Buena Park,
|CA camera show) will have a OM-4 and a 200 mm f/5.0 to swap for the Sekonic?
|
|Anyone have ANY lens test data on the f/5.0 ??? It was discontinued soon, so
|it might be sub-par optically.

I recall some of our listers commenting that this lens was
pretty sharp.  Of course, this was ages ago and obviously
subjective opinions.  If you are going to use it strictly as
a spotmeter, great optical quality is not a priority.
However, I understand the desire to double your pleasure by
adding a truly useful lens to your lens arsenal.

|I saw lots of sub-$100US 200 mm f/5.0's at Terry and Gerri's Photography in
|Tavares, FL, but can't get them on the phone.  They were going to sell out.
|Hope it isn't so.

If you can give me their phone number, web address, or
street location it may be easier for me to track them down
for you since I am here in central Florida.  Contact me by
email if interested.