Re: [OM] OM-4's and the Grim Ripper

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4's and the Grim Ripper
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 18:14:23 +0000
In article , PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx> writes
>rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< The reliability department???  Haven' heard of any realiability problems
>with the OM-4 circuit >>
>
>I would expect that a circuit board that is older would have less reliability
>than one that is newer, assuming average use for both and that both have gone
>through a break in period (when the majority of electronic circuits fail).

I wouldn't assume this at all - quite the opposite in fact.
Semiconductor reliability follows the standard bathtub profile - lots of
"infant mortality" then high reliability for a very long period then
gradual increased failures, the "senile mortality" period.  That is why
most military and space electronics go through an extensive and costly
'burn-in' period to get them over that initial poor reliability period.
Once the 'infant mortality' period has passed, semiconductor lifetimes
are in the order of 50,000 hrs operation or more before senile mortality
becomes significant.

Using this standard semiconductor reliability profile I would expect the
OM-4 circuit to be more reliable than that of an OM-4Ti which might only
be a couple of years old and had the total equivalent of 24hrs
operation.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)