Re: [OM] OM10 Mirror lockup

Subject: Re: [OM] OM10 Mirror lockup
From: John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 07:42:16 -0500
That halfway mirror lock is what allows the self timer to work.  The mirror is
held partway up by a latch controlled by another combination magnet.  This is
an alectromagnet with a small permanent magnet (on the moving part) that
sticcks to the metal in the uncharged electromagnet.  When the self timer term
is up, a quick "blip" of power is sent to the electromagnet  (which is the
opposite pole to the permanent  magnet) which quickly repels the latch and
allows the mirror up to fire the shutter.
This system is used in the OM-10, G and F, and also indicates weak batteries,
no batteries, or basic electriacl malfunction.

John
Camtech