[OM] black flecks on lens

Subject: [OM] black flecks on lens
From: "Dr. Matthew J. Cordery" <cordery1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:34:12 -0800
I'll just say that my 50/1.8 has one black flec on a rear element and I
haven't noticed it in any of my slides.

>On 19 Mar 98 at 22:48, Lars Haven wrote:
>
>> Hi Shawn,
>>
>> Congratulations on getting yourself a very fine and useful lens. Match it
>> with the 35mm f:2 and you have a next to perfect travel kit.
>>
>> If they are only small specks, I would leave them alone. My own 85mm
>> also has "something" on the inside of the rear element, which looks
>> like a small splinter of light wood. I used to worry about flare because
>> the thing is not dark, but the results seem to be fine. Usually there
>> must be quite much dust and debris inside the lens to hurt the image
>> quality, as long as the stuff is dark. Light or shiny things is another
>> story. They should be removed.
>>
>> They are probably right about opening the lens from the front. The rear
>> is difficult due to the floating element mechanism. It looks hard to
>> disassemble and would need adjustment after reassembly.
>>
>Thanks, Lars.
>
>I still haven't developed any shots, but since it is dark in colour, I'll
>leave
>it for now.

Dr. Matthew J. Cordery                     cordery1@xxxxxxxx
Environmental Computer Applications Div.   (510) 423-6858
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
L206
P.O. Box 808
Livermore, CA 94550

A bad day in the mountains is better than a good day at work.