Re: [OM] Is it worth it??

Subject: Re: [OM] Is it worth it??
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:56:56 +0100
Paul Haigney wrote:

> Thanks Lars
> Got any idea how much a repair manual costs, is it true you need both the OM1
> and
> OM2 versions.
> Rgds Paul Haigney
>
> Lars Haven wrote:
>

> > At 20 quid, I agree with Kennedy that it can be quite interesting to
> > try to repair it yourself, provided you have a reasonable combination
> > mechanical talent, suitable tools and a service manual. I can not help
> > with talent, but service manuals can be bought from Ed Romney. Try
> > http://www.edromney.com/ or http://pweb.tics.net/romney/tool.htm
> > It make things so much easier, when you know how to take things apart
> > correctly. You will need to buy or make a few special tools just to get
> > the top cover off, so expect to use some time just to get inside.
> >
> > Regards
> > Lars
> >
> > --
Hi Paul,

I think the manuals for OM1 (no n) and OM2 (also no n) were US$20 and US$22
respectively. I haven't checked the prices lately so I would suggest that you
check Mr. Romneys web page, where he posted the prices the last time I looked,
or send him an email. He responded very quickly when I did buisness with him.

As for needing both manuals for the OM2, I'd say you may be able to "survive"
with only the OM2 book, if you have previous experience with fine mecanics. It
has the exploded view drawings needed, but the focus is on the electronics.
The OM1 adds descriptions of the procedures for correct disassembly (and
assembly of course), which I have found very useful. I must add, that so far
I have only tried messing with my two OM1's.

Note that these books are only service manuals, which assume that you know
what you are doing. There are no general hints. For that you will need other
books. Do I dare say it? Check with Romney. The may be others available.

For what it's worth: I found it very satifying to restore an old, defective
OM1 to working order. Fixing a defective film advance mechanism took four
evenings: Two studying the manual, one making tools and one fixing the problem,
which turned out to be caused by corrosion.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"