Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel
From: "Tim Breen" <timbreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:25:37 -0600
John, Ulf:

PMJI,

I began shooting Sensia after seeing the results my photo instructor
obtained with his N*k*n. He said the only difference between emulsions is
Provia's backing is designed for scanning and ultimate commercial
reproduction where Sensia's for projection. Other than that the formula was
identical. He showed me H & D charts where the plot was virtually
identical, a little more toe for Provia.

I have never been able to get the same rich colors with Sensia (I or II)
using my OM system. My colors are good, yes. His are stunning. I am still
learning, he's the pro. However, with Velvia or Provia I can match his
work. Well, the exposure anyway. But it irritates me that he can get better
color from the same stock than I can. (Grrr).

I attended a photo seminar last summer and talked with literally dozens of
shooters about this subject and most do not care for Sensia, saying it was
too cool, which is my own experience. However, as I just said, I've seen
with my own eyes that it *can* make killer images, if used right. I don't
know if my instructor has found a lens/film combo that is a perfect match
or if he just understands exposure to a finer degree than I do (very
possible). Speaking of which, he rates Sensia @ 100 (normal) and shoots at
F8.5/250, or equivilent. He sells lots of work, so his clients don't mind
that he's charging half as much for film as another bidder would.

Now my question has become "Is there/are there film and lens combo's that
indeed  prove to work better together than they would on another lens? Does
this enter the realm of "MC vs SC" as opposed to just the lens flare
reduction? Are there Zuiko's out there that are known for their
"sweetness'?

I still use Sensia with my Oly in a certain setting and love the result,
i.e., push it a stop (200), add a 1A or sometimes a 81B on a 100/2.8
shooting at F8.5/500 during mid-day. With this setup I get tack-sharp
hand-held street portraits. Very very sharp, very mobile, very natural and
pleasing colors. Good for spontanious travel shots. Cheap, too.

Tim