Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:10:54 +0100
John Gardner wrote:

>I think I just secured my first comercial contract (to
>photograph some buildings, not birds unfortunately) and I think I will be
using
>Provia in the Blad for this assignment.

Congratulations!

>I have recently made friends with a pro nature photographer and he uses
Sensia.
>He told me he doesn't use Provia beciause it is so expensive, double the
price
>of Sensia. He says that a Fuji rep said that Sensia is exactly the same
film as
>Provia, just not matured. The sales rep said the only difference between
the two
>was that you'd get an exact colour match between batches of Provia, whereas
>Sensia might exhibit some colour shift between batches. Its interesting
that you
>say that Sensia2 is based on Astia. I have just bought 20 rolls of Sensia2
>test out my pal's theory. I've seen dozens and dozens of his pictures in
print
>and they do look good, so Sensia can't be all bad. The film certainly
worked out
>a good deal cheaper.

Yep, heard the same, I had the chance to meet a Fuji representative last
November and he laid out three medium format examples of the same subject;
Velvia, Provia and Astia. Of course, Velvia was the punchiest, Astia the
most neutral and Provia right in between. Being somewhat reluctant to talk
about Sensia, I finally managed to sqeeze out of him (well, not physically!)
that Sensia2 was based on the Astia on the same lines as old Sensia was
based on Provia and that eventually could result in a somewhat cooler tone.
I certainly have been very satisfied with old Sensia, often push-processed
one stop.

>I'll post my results early next week as I haven't had chance to use the
Sensia2
>yet. Weather's very grim over in England at the moment :(

After a week with 25C and sunshine I don't believe my eyes when I look out
the window now :-(

>Best wishes
>
>John.
>
>PS Glad you enjoyed Timna Valley, Eilat. Did you photograph the big
mushroom
>shaped rock?

Oh, yes, in late afternoon with looong shadows. I finally managed to avoid
the crowds before sun disappared behind the mountains!

Good luck with your assignment(s)
Ulf Westerberg

PS What happened to your Swedish Crane journey?